Friday, May 11, 2007

A Night on the Town


Most Germans confuse me. My confusion was further extended by a night on the town that included my karaoke debut in Germany. Yes, a monumental event I know, and I'm sorry that I did not properly publicize the event an give ya'll an opportunity to travel to experience the debut.

After some delicious pizza (oh, I learned I can eat Jalapenos, at least on pizza) and a few cocktails at a bar called Havana (which by the way has a happy hour that extends until 21:00 - now that's a happy hour), Dirk, Phillip, Andrea, Robert (all from the IMP - Institute for Medical Physics) and I arrived at a completely packed bar called Papa Joe's for some karaoke action.

It was a fairly mixed bag as far as the performers go, kind of the standard. I was devastated by the poor selection of R&B - no Al Green, only 1 Marvin Gaye song, and only 2 Prince songs. So, I was forced to go with the old stand by of Faith. Apparently that was a good decision as mid way through the rendition, a bra arrived at my feet. I've had underwear thrown at my feet before, but that was at the cabaret, and I was in costume and singing Tom Jones - so being on the receiving end of a barrage of ladies underwear is kind of expected. Well, anyway, the black bra at my feet - yeah, it remained there all by itself, none of its sisters joined it.

So, I was feeling pretty good, but here's where my whole confusion on the Germans comes in. Obviously they have some sense of taste - evidenced by their response to my George Michael efforts, but shortly after I went, the crowd again went crazy (well not quite as crazy as the went for me, wink) for some dude signing - poorly - a Backstreet Boys song. I was shocked, confused, appalled. So I must figure this out, either everyone there is really weird, or I have to come to grips with the possibility that in some circles, its acceptable for young people to like both George Michael and the Backstreet Boys. I have to decide if I am ready to part of that world.

So, that's the big question here, can I possibly get over the generally awful fashion sense and universally tragic taste in music of the German people and have a good time? I still, do not know. Tonight though, the answer was no.

2 comments:

Ethnic Mike said...

Mark, I would suggest basking in the bad taste of the German. It's not everyday us Americans can just walk out into the street and bump into a score of Hasselhoff fans, it?

So knowing in your heart that you are much cooler than these people, you can swallow your pride and go with the flow.

Also, as you mentioned, dry heaving in the beer helps.

geoffrey t pan said...

2 words: David Hasselhoff.

Did you keep the bra?